1. Know the course – Drive or train on the route prior to the event. Make a point of knowing where the bike mount and dismount lines and the finish line are located.
2. Use sunglasses whenever possible on the bike – Even if it’s not a sunny day, you should have protection from wind and bugs.
3. Exit the swim in shallow water – Swim until your hands nearly touch the bottom. It will be faster than if you tried to run in water up to your waist.
4. Train on the bike you’re going to race on – Adjust the seat, post, and handlebars to your liking. Fully inflate the tires. The handlebars must have end plugs.
5. Wear a helmet – you will not be able to leave the transition area without a helmet.
6. Invest in good shoes – Poor quality or warn out running shoes will cause injuries. Clip-on riding shoes will increase your biking speed.
7. Fuel your body – Stock up on energy gels, drinks, and supplements. They will keep your energy level high and your performance at its peak on race day.
8. Slow down your stroke – Inexperienced swimmers are under the impression that the faster you move your arms and harder you kick, the faster you will go. This is not true. Swim efficiently, using your back muscles in addition to shoulders and arms to propel yourself.
9. Pace yourself – Don’t overdo it at the beginning of each segment. Know your pace and save energy for a burst to the finish.
10. Safety first – Keep your eyes open during the swim and watch where you are going. Don’t make sudden turns on the bike. Keep right, except to pass. Shout “On your left” when passing. Walk your bike to and from the transition area.
2 thoughts on “Training & Safety”
Have you ever considered publishing an ebook or guest authoring on other sites?
I have a blog based upon on the same subjects you discuss and would
really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my readers would enjoy
your work. If you are even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.
American Trailer & Storage, Inc. AT&S specializes in containers
for overflow, storage and shipping. You’ll find
we rent or sell portable onsite storage containers, new and used semi
trailers and secure onsite portable office containers.
And something you won’t find elsewhere, fast, flexible service and
instant answers to your questions.